LEESA HYBRID MATTRESS REVIEW 2019
On the lookout for a super comfortable and supportive new foam mattress? Look no further than the innerspring based Leesa Hybrid.
Although it’s been just a few short years since Leesa launched their brand in 2014, the company has quickly grown to become one of the most popular mattress brands on the market. Not only do they innovate with each new mattress they come out with, they’re also committed to community outreach. One of the unique features of Leesa is that you can try out their mattresses before you buy, thanks to their ongoing partnership with retailer West Elm. This helps the company stand out, as not many online mattress brands currently offer this.
We’ve done an in-depth review of the Leesa Hybrid Mattress below. We’ll take a closer look at all the different features to evaluate the comfort levels, edge support and motion transfer amongst other things.
Let’s kick off by taking a look at the main strengths and weaknesses of the mattresses.
What we loved about the Leesa Hybrid Mattress:
- The hybrid nature of this mattress means you’re getting the benefits of both foam and innerspring. The pressure relieving foam contours to your body to provide optimum comfort and minimal motion transfer, while the durable innerspring layer provides the high support levels that it’s famous for.
- It’s ideal for both back and stomach sleepers. The Leesa Hybrid is slightly firmer than a medium-firm mattress, making it a great choice for back and stomach sleepers. It is firm enough to align your spine while still being comfortable enough to relieve pressure.
- It can support more weight than many of its competitors. The Leesa Hybrid Mattress has been built to support individuals weighing up to 350 pounds. This is a considerably higher amount than many other online mattress brands.
What might make the Leesa Hybrid the wrong choice for some:
- It’s important to mention that the Leesa Hybrid feels slightly bouncier than a foam mattress due to its innerspring layer. It may not be the right choice for those of you looking for that distinctive all foam feel.
The Leesa Hybrid Mattress Construction
The Leesa Hybrid is shipped out to customers compressed in a box. It’s a versatile mattress that works well with all kinds of beds, from box spring beds to slatted frame bases. If you’re looking for a new foundation as well, have a browse through the Leesa website.
The mattress is made up of 5 layers and topped off with a breathable cover made of soft polyester. It has the brand’s signature stripes which adds a unique and stylish look. You can remove and wash it if you need to, but Leesa recommends spot cleaning any stains.
The 11 inch hybrid mattress is composed of 5 layers:
- The top layer is 1.5-inches thick and consists of Leesa’s Cooling Avena® Foam. This foam has been designed specifically for optimum temperature control and provides you with a comfortably cool sleeping surface.
- The second layer is the memory foam layer and it’s also 1.5-inches. Memory foam is well known for contouring snugly to your body for high levels of comfort and pressure relief. As there is a cooling layer between this one and your body, you won’t have to worry about the trapped heat associated with memory foam.
- The third layer is a transitional 1 inch layer made of foam. It has been included to provide additional support and motion isolation.
- The fourth layer is the thickest at 6 inches. This is the innerspring layer and comprises of Quantum core pocketed steel coils for exceptional support from edge to edge.
- The final layer is made of an inch of foam for extra stability and foundational support.
Firmness and Support Levels
The Leesa Hybrid scores about 6.5 out of 10 on our mattress firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. This makes is just a tad firmer than the average firmness level. It’s an optimum level of firmness for a comfortable night’s sleep with enough support for any sleeping position.
The soft cover and top layer of cooling foam feel great on the skin. Overheating is definitely not an issue with this mattress. The memory foam layer is highly responsive, as you feel it contouring to the curves of your body pretty instantly as you settle in. The innerspring coil layer means that you won’t entirely sink into the mattress but you’ll feel totally supported. The only way to describe the feeling is that of a floating sensation.
Other than providing incredible support, the coil layer also adds a slight bounce. This, combined with the comfort of the memory foam, is great for effortless repositioning through the night. If you’re prone to tossing and turning through the night, you’ll find it easy to adjust to any position.
One of the stand-out features of the Leesa Hybrid Mattress is that it offers benefits for all sleeping positions. Back sleepers will notice the sturdy support of the coils as it’s great for spine alignment. Side sleepers will appreciate the pressure relief offered by the foam layers which takes the stress off the hip and shoulder area. Stomach sleepers will love the firmness level, which is just enough to stop their hips from sinking it too much.
Individuals on the heavier side often struggle to find a mattress to support their weight. The Leesa Hybrid is a fantastic option as it offers comfortable support for individuals weighing up to 350 points.
Poor motion transfer can be a huge issue for those who are sleeping in a couple. It can be highly disruptive if your mattress moves along with your partner’s every small movement. Luckily, motion isolation is another area where the Leesa Hybrid excels. This is primarily thanks to the inch of stabilizing foam that allows the coils to flex individually.
Thanks to the coil layer, the Leesa Hybrid offers edge-to-edge support for sleepers. This means that the same level of support is provided, no matter which part of the bed you sleep on. This can be a problem with many mattresses as users report an unstable feeling on the edge of the bed, so it’s great to see that Leesa has addressed this with their Hybrid mattress. Again, this is an attractive feature for couples who will need to make use of the full surface of the mattress.
- Trial Period – You can try the Leesa Hybrid for 100 nights to make sure it’s the right choice for you. Within this period, you’ll be able to get a full refund if you want.
- Warranty – The brand offers a 10-year warranty.
- Delivery – Free delivery and returns are on offer in the USA and Canada.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foam is free of any toxins, harmful chemicals and ozone depleters.
- Charitable Giving– Leesa has committed to donating a mattress for every 10 mattresses they sell. They’ll also passionate about the environment and will plant a tree for every single mattress sold.
- Bed Compatibility – The Leesa Hybrid Mattress is compatible with all types of beds, including adjustable beds.
- Manufactured in the USA
The Final Verdict
The Leesa Hybrid is a premium mattress that offers exceptional value for money. It stands out in the online mattress market, thanks to its versatile nature and the level of comfort it offers for all kinds of sleepers. Leesa has clearly spent years coming up with a mattress that is suitable for everyone, and they haven’t forgotten individual sleeping preferences and those who are on the heavier side. We also love the fact that the brand is committed to giving back, which adds a feel-good element to your purchase.
For those looking for a high-quality and durable mattress that is on par with significantly more expensive retail mattresses, give the Leesa Hybrid Mattress a go. Remember, you can return it for free within the 100 day sleeping period. And if you need any more convincing, you can pop into your nearest West Elm store to try before you buy.
Leesa mattresses are all made in the USA and built to last, so you can rest assured that you won’t need to worry about a replacement for quite some time. This hybrid should be a serious contender for your next mattress investment.